Well its been a while but I am ready for my next post.
As life goes on things must change. At this point I am getting back into handyman jobs. Since I have been active my whole life I need something more to do.
I have gotten most of the HONEY-DO's that my wife wanted done so not as much to do. We are traveling some but can't do that all the time as bad as we wish we could.
We purchased new washer and drier, the front loading kind, and quickly learned that it was hard for us old people to get the clothes out of them when they were on the floor so I built a drawer unit to place under them.
Can't say that is was an original idea (google is great) but I did modify it some.
The finished unit is approximantly 5 feet wide and 34 inches deep and just over 12 inches high.
I used a 2X6 framework with 3/4 inch MDF for the surfaces.
There are three 2X6 support frames (the front two are laid flat) so it is very strong.
The drier vent is close to the floor so I ran it under the drawer unit and up through the top surface. The old drier sat on the left and the new one is on the right so the vent hose had to run for a short distance but a standard lenght hose worked just fine.
The drawers are 3/4 inch MDF with 1/2 inch plywood bottoms. Even the fronts are 3/4 inch MDF.
I recruited my son-in-law to help drop it into place. There is a clean out for the sewer in the wall on the left so I had to cut out so that it would clear the framing. Now to access the clean out you can either remove the drawer or remove the entire unit which is quite a job.
As you can see I trimmed out the unit to give it a finished look.
The wife really likes th eextra storage and the ease of access to the units.
No comments:
Post a Comment